Wednesday, September 2, 2009

ZALDY TABANAO AND THE U.M BOYS - " CHESS, LIKE BEER AND MUSIC MAKES A MAN HAPPY "


( Bogser's Coffehouse and Bar at Central Park, Bangkal, Davao City )


Last Saturday August 29, 2009 I played at the Kadayawan Open together with my new friend Zaldy Tabanao. Zaldy is a folk singer by profession but mind you, he is a mean chess player. He is a former varsity player of Southwestern University (SWU) of Cebu. In 1988 I played board 2 for the University of Mindanao during the National UAAP and our team played against Southwestern. Our team got wiped-out 4-0 by SWU composed of IM Enrico Sevillano, NM ( but now IM) Barlo Nadera, Arnel Ranile and Cabebel ( I forgot his first name ).

Due to the sheer number of players considering that the registration was free, the third round was played at almost 7 p.m. Zaldy was not able to play the 3rd round due to his work at Bogser's Coffeehouse and Bar where he is the resident folk/acoustic singer. The third round was finished at almost 8 p.m and I decided to invite my former UM chess buddies to visit Zaldy at Bogser's and unwind after a day's battle over the 64 square board. It was my first time to visit Bogser's and I enjoyed the place. The beers are ice cold, the pulutans are tasty and the price is quite reasonable. If you have time, drop by to their place and you will not regret it.


( Zaldy Tabanao the singer rendering some folk and 80's tunes )


( Inside Bogser's Bar )


( Me and my chess buddies Vincent Umayan, Lito Laput and Nofre Reyes )


( U.M boys with Ali Baba the driver ).

No comments:

Post a Comment